27 July 2012

DESSERT FOR BREAKFAST!?

TOO GOOD NOT TO SHARE.

Ok so I've been having peanut butter/nutella cravings for a long time now. I've occasionally splurged out on a packet of peanut M&M's, shared a cupcake or an ice cream if presented with a nutty flavour but haven't properly had the chance to fully indulge. You can imagine my excitement when I stumbled upon this COMPLETELY HEALTHY RECIPE online (healthy as in nutritionally actually REALLY good for you - what!?)

"Nutella" Overnight Dessert Oats (don't let the name fool you - it doesn't taste like oats what so ever - tasted like the most delicious moussey chocolatey goodness)



I love food blogs. And I love experimenting in the kitchen. HOWEVER I find the hardest part (a part from the cleanup, of course) is actually finding all the ingredients. After that throwing it all together doesn't seem too menicing. It's when I don't understand the ingredients or even know where to find them... So you can imagine how EVEN MORE EXCITED I was to find out that I could find every single ingredient I needed in Brown Rice Paradise at Tanglin Mall (except the protein powder which I already had lying around..)! All in one place! Amazing.

Ran there, ran home and did this.. (recipe from CHOCKOHLAWTAY which can be found here, she has so many other really cool ones so do have a look at her site!)

Source: http://chockohlawtay.blogspot.sg/

Step 1 ingredients:
1/2 cup Rolled Oats (old fashioned - gluten free if needed)
1 tbs Hazelnut Butter (natural, no sugar/salt/oil added)
1/3 - 1/2 Almond Milk (unsweetened; or any other milk) - I used 1/2 almond milk

Step 2 ingredients:
1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder (32g scoop) - I used my own 'Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Double Rich Chocolate' which I got at GNC.1 tbs Regular Cocoa Powder - I used Organic Green & Black's1 tbs Ground Flaxseeds (or ground chia seeds)
1/16 tsp Salt
2 - 5 packets Sweetener (I used 3 stevia packets and it was pretty sweet so I personally wouldn't put anymore unless you have a serious sweet tooth)

Method:- In a medium sized bowl, add all the Step 1 ingredients and stir.
- Add the Step 2 ingredients and stir again.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge overnight and enjoy the next morning! (I left mine in the fridge til the morning after and they were still ok - Just, you know, if you were intending to make more for .. later days.. I thought you should know).

IT IS THAT SIMPLE!
I moved my mix into a prettier bowl before covering it with plastic wrap just so it was pretty to present in the morning!


I did a little comparison of the nutritional value compared to that of a cup of Chocolate Haagen Daz and holy moly! (This is just what I found on a calorie counter website for Haagen Daz and the other was putting in the ingredients I personally used, MAY NOT BE ACCURATE WHAT SO EVER - It was just something I wanted to look at)

2 SERVINGS OF 'NUTELLA' BREAKFAST OATS                       1 CUP OF CHOCOLATE HAAGEN DAZ ICE CREAM 



1 cup of Haagen Daz chocolate ice cream next to 2 servings of the Nutella Dessert (dad and I shared) - CRAZY! Look at the fat, especially saturated fat! AND it includes dietary fibre and so much more protein! wahoo! Having said that I'll never go off ice cream - but it's good to know, hehe. The funny thing is this is probably more nutritionally satisfying than a normal breakfast for me even thought it feels a million times more naughty. Weird? Maybe I should study nutritional science. Dad describes it as a "chocolate ice cream bircher muesli" and that he'd "eat it everyday", hahaha.



SUCCESS!


SHARE THIS POST - {PINTEREST}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS